Thursday, May 7, 2009

Weblos and Thingies!

I know, weird title, huh?  Well, Niko earned his Weblos badge a few weeks ago.  We are almost done with Cub Scouts!  Of course, that means I only have a little over a year until he turns 12 and goes into Young Mens.  YIKES!  I'm getting old.  Here are a couple pictures of the night.







At this Pack Meeting we also had our pack's 1st Thingy race.  What is a thingy?  Well a thingy is a piece of wood that you decorate and then attempt to move it down a course by moving a string up and down.  Weird, I know!  But it was actually pretty fun and it was nice because it was all on the boys.  (Unlike the pine-wood Derby which seems to be more about the Dad.)
The theme was Jurassic Pack so Niko made his Thingy look like a caveman.

They had a few extra so Lucy and Noah decorated one too.

After trying to explain how it works I decided a video would be easier.

                                       

7 comments:

Mrs.Goates said...

So Scott thought this was pretty cool until he put it all together that if boy scouts do this instead of pine wood derbies HE may never get to be the dad putting the car together... After that he said it wasn't nearly as fun... Boys and their toys!

PS - Question - do they do this instead of pine wood derbies or as a seperate activity?

Nichole said...

This is a separate activity. In fact, we do several activities throughout the year, Pine wood derby, rain gutter regatta, some kind of rocket thing, and more. Yeah baby, the fun never ends in cub scouts!

Kristi said...

Ok - Tyler goes into cub scouts next year - crazy. I knew about the pinewood derby - but I've never seen anything like that before. Wonder if our cubs to it. If not I may just have to have a family Thingy race at my house - looks like fun!

Kristi said...

Oh - I forgot - Scott realizes he has to have a boy before he gets to build his pinewood derby car right? There is one ward in our stake that does a ward derby so then the men can just build their own and not try to pass it off as their sons. He's in the bishopric - tell him to make it a ward activity - I'm sure the college guys would love it.

Mrs.Goates said...

That's actually a great idea - I'll have to tell him!

Unknown said...

That looks like fun, I know our ward does nothing even close to that. I have never seen it before, sure looks like fun though.

Jan W. said...

Congratulations Niko!
Yeah, that looks like fun...no really!
I'm constantly amazed at the crazy things people who enjoy scouting come up with! I have a lot of respect and admiration for them! But, I really think I missed out on that gene!